OUR TOP TANNING TIPS FROM THE EXPERTS YOU TRUST
FINDING THE RIGHT TAN TO SUIT YOU…
WHY IS ST.TROPEZ DIFFERENT?
• With one St.Tropez tanning product sold every fifteen seconds and one St.Tropez spray tan performed every minute, St.Tropez is the UK’s NO.1 Tanning brand chosen by celebrities, professionals and beauty editors alike. The original tan, since 1996, St.Tropez’s wardrobe of products provides a natural looking, streak-free tan to suit every skin tone and lifestyle. Our multi-award winning, salon-inspired formulations are paraben-free, easy-to-apply, contain 100% natural tanning agent, as well as innovative Aromaguard™ Fragrance Technology for the ultimate tan with virtually no tell-tale aroma.
WHICH TAN IS RIGHT FOR ME?
• Although every skin tone is different, our wardrobe of products are tailored to provide a natural looking glow to suit every skin tone – whether you’re looking for an instant fix for one night only, a sunkissed everyday glow or a golden streak-free tan that lasts for days.
• Generally speaking, you can expect the following results from each of our award winning ranges:
o A no-commitment tan for one night only
o With Rainmac Technology™, these easy-to-use lotions are water & transfer resistant and last up to 24 hours.
o Available in Light/Medium for a golden tan or Medium/Dark for a deeper bronze result, simply apply with an Applicator Mitt and wash off as desired.
o Ideal for first time or nervous tanners, a last minute instant fix or one-off special occasions,
o A subtle sunkissed glow that you can build upon daily to achieve your desired depth of colour, with no need to wash off.
o Available in Light/Medium and Medium/Dark. Ideal for nervous or first time or regular tanners looking for a subtle glow or a product that fits into their daily skin care routine.
o Use our Gradual Tan Body or Face Lotions in place of your usual moisturiser once a day or every other day as desired to maintain an everyday natural looking tan.
o Includes our Gradual Tan PLUS range with added firming or anti-ageing skin care benefits for a multi-action moisturiser in one.
SELF TAN CLASSIC
o Apply a one-off application using a St.Tropez Mitt using the instant colour to guide application.
o Allow to develop over 4-8 hours before showering off to reveal a natural looking, streak-free golden tan that lasts 3-5 days.
o Ideal for weekly or occasional tanners.
SELF TAN SENSITIVE
o Now even sensitive skins can achieve the same natural looking golden tan as you’d expect from our Self Tan Classic range. Clinically proven and specially formulated to be gentle on skin.
o Hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested, Self Tan Sensitive is a one off application with a lightly tinted guide colour for a discreet tan that you can wear as it develops, before showering off after 4-8 hours.
SELF TAN DARK
o A one off application range that contains innovative Melanin Technology to ensure your tan tailors to your individual skin tone. The tanning agent (Vegetan Premium) targets more of the brown pigments in the skin for a darker, but natural tan taking you a few shades darker than the Self Tan Classic range.
o Lasts 4-7 days
o For regular tanners or those seeking a deeper, darker bronze that lasts for longer.
PREP & MAINTAIN
o Maintain your Self or Gradual tan for longer with daily moisturisation using our Tan Enhancing Body Moisturiser and exfoliate twice a week with our Tan Enhancing Body Polish for no-streaks and even fade.
o Alternatively, extend the life of your fake tan for up to 3 days longer with our Tan Booster – the perfect top-up as your Tan begins to fade.
o Highlight, contour or add definition using our range of cosmetic skin finishing products, including Illuminators and Bronzing Powders.
WHY NOT TRY OUR ONLINE FINISH FINDER™ TOOL TO DISCOVER THE RIGHT PRODUCT TO SUIT YOUR SKIN TONE. SIMPLY CHOOSE YOUR NATURAL SKIN TONE FROM THE LEFT HAND NAVIGATION (FAIR, MEDIUM, DARK) TO SEE INDICATIVE BEFORE AND AFTER RESULTS OF THE TYPE OF COLOUR YOUR COULD ACHIEVE USING EACH OF OUR RANGES.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ST. TROPEZ SELF TAN AND GRADUAL TAN?
• ST.TROPEZ Self Tan contains a higher concentration of the tanning agent (DHA), which provides a natural looking tan that lasts up to 5 days after just one application. Both Self Tan Classic and Self Tan Dark contain a tinted guide colour for ease of application (so you can’t miss any patches) and also benefit from an instant wearable colour while your self tan develops underneath. Self Tan should ideally be left to develop between 4-8hrs before showering off the tinted guide colour to reveal your natural looking tan. The developed colour will then last between 3 –10 days depending on which product was used and how the tan is maintained.
• ST.TROPEZ Gradual Tan contains less tanning agent than Self Tan providing a light sunkissed glow. It does not contain a guide colour which is ideal for discreet tanning every day and should still be left on the skin to develop over time (although you will see results from 4-12 hours). This product range is ideal for those who wish for a light tan or to build up their depth of colour. Gradual Tan can be applied daily or every other day to build greater depth of colour, but it will not develop as dark as a Self Tan product.
HOW DO SELF & GRADUAL TANS WORK?
• The main active tanning ingredient used in ST.TROPEZ formulations is Dihydroxyacetone (also known as DHA), which is derived from plant sources such as wheat and rapeseed. St Tropez use a 100% Natural Ecocert approved DHA called Vegetan, this is combined with a unique blend of skin conditioning ingredients (including Vitamin E) that protect and hydrate the skin whilst providing a natural looking tan.
• The DHA reacts chemically with the amino acids found in the upper epidermis (top layer) of the skin producing different tones of colouration from yellow to brown. Each person has a different level of amino acids which is why we all naturally tan slightly differently in the sun. In the same way, every self tan result is individual to you and tailors to your individual skin tone.
• DHA should be left to develop on the skin between 4-8 hours for optimum results.
• Vegetan Premium (used in ST.TROPEZ Self Tan Dark, Gradual Tan PLUS & our Professional Express Mist), has additional brown/black plant pigments to achieve a deeper tanning result.
APPLYING THE PERFECT SUNLESS TAN
TOP TIPS FOR APPLYING THE PERFECT SELF TAN
Celebrity tanner & Skin Finishing Expert, Nichola Joss, gives her Top Tips for a flawless St.Tropez Self Tan.
o For an ultra-even, streak-free fake tan, always ensure you’re working with a clean canvas. Remove any old Tan Build Up with our Remover Mitt and exfoliate with our Tan Enhancing Body Polish 24 hours before applying your Self Tan to remove dead skin cells
o Just before you start, apply a small amount of our oil-free Moisturiser to dry areas such as elbows, knees, ankles, wrists and feet to avoid the tell-tale signs of tanning.
o Then using an Applicator Mitt (perfect for stain-free hands and a streak-free finish), apply your choice of Self Tan (whether it’s Self Tan Classic, Dark, Sensitive or a Mousse, Lotion, Spray), in long sweeping upward motions.
o Claw your hands, separating your fingertips before applying the residual tan on your Mitt to hands, followed by feet. Remember, less is more until you build confidence.
o Allow to dry for approximately 5 minutes (or until touch dry), before getting dressed and allow your tan to develop over 4-8 hours for optimum results, before showering off the guide colour to reveal a natural looking, streak-free tan.
o Maintain your tan for up to 3 days longer with daily moisturisation to keep skin hydrated and exfoliate twice a week for even fade. Try Self Tan Booster to extend the life of your tan for up to 3 days longer.
I HAVE NEVER USED ST. TROPEZ BEFORE, IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD BE AWARE OF BEFORE FOLLOWING THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS?
• As everyone’s skin tone and type is individual to them, we highly recommend carrying out a patch test 24hrs prior to applying any tanning product for the first time.
HOW DO YOU CARRY OUT A PATCH/SKIN TEST?
• Apply a small amount of the self tan product with a cotton bud to the inner crease of the elbow or behind the ear and leave dry for 24hrs. If any contra-actions occur such as redness, swelling, inflammation or itching, avoid using the product as this is a positive reaction for sensitivity. If no reaction occurs then it is fine to proceed with the full body application.
ARE ST.TROPEZ PRODUCTS SUITABLE FOR THE FACE?
• All ST.TROPEZ products can be used on the face, however we also have products that have been designed specifically with delicate skin in mind. Hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested our Self Tan Sensitive Bronzing Lotion Face contains hydrating ingredients such as grape and blackcurrant seed oils, while our Self Tan Classic Bronzing Face Lotion contains Apricot Oil & Hyaluronic Acid for a light and easily absorbed lotion that is clinically proven to not block pores (non-comeodogenic). For those short on time, why not try our revolutionary multi-action moisturiser, Gradual Tan PLUS Anti-Ageing – an everyday moisturiser that combines a sunkissed glow with anti-ageing benefits to firm, plump and visibly lift the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles during use.
HOW CAN I GET A PERFECT FINISH ON MY HANDS AND FEET?
• Apply a light layer of ST.TROPEZ Tan Enhancing Body Moisturiser to your hands and feet prior to applying your tan to avoid too much product clinging to these extra dry areas. When applying your tanning product only blend the excess product on to your hands and feet for a more natural finish. When using spray tanning products hold the can 10 inches away and claw the hand so the spray falls in the creases.
HOW LONG DO I NEED TO WAIT BEFORE SHOWERING AFTER APPLYING ST.TROPEZ?
• Our Instant Tan or Gradual Tan products do not need to be washed off.
• For optimum results using our Self Tan products, we advise avoiding showering, swimming, sweating for 4-8 hours (ideally 8hrs) to allow your Self Yan to develop on the skin.
• Our new professional Express Mist can be left to develop between 1-3 hours.
CAN I SWIM ONCE I HAVE APPLIED ST.TROPEZ?
• It is advisable to allow 4-12 hours development of your tan before washing or swimming. Once your tan has developed you can swim but sea water and chlorinated pools may result in your tan fading more quickly.
MAINTAINING THE PERFECT SUNLESS TAN
HOW LONG WILL MY ST.TROPEZ TAN LAST?
• Everyone’s skin naturally exfoliates at a different rate, but your tan will last anything between 4-7 days, with good preparation and maintenance this could be considerably longer.
• To ensure your tan looks great for as long as possible use ST.TROPEZ Tan Enhancing Body Exfoliator to remove all your dead skin cells to provide an even surface to tan. Following application keep the skin hydrated with daily application of St.Tropez Tan Enhancing Moisturiser. For perfect fade exfoliate every 2-3 days
• Why not try our Self Tan Booster which is proven to extend the life of your tan for up to 3 days
WILL MY TAN STREAK OR GO PATCHY?
• The St. Tropez Self Tan & Self Tan Dark range contains a guide colour so you can see exactly where you apply it. You don’t need to worry about applying too much – only missed bits can give an uneven, or patchy finish. The St. Tropez Gradual range doesn’t contain a guide colour but it does leave a wet sheen on the skin so you can see where you have applied. All ST.TROPEZ products also contain hydrating ingredients such as Apricot Oil and Aloe Vera which makes application smoother whilst hydrating the skin.
• We always recommend using an Applicator Mitt to apply any product to ensure a flawless finish and fully recommend daily moisturisation and exfoliating skin twice a week for a long-lasting no-streaks finish and even fade.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I THINK I'M SENSITIVE OR ALLERGIC TO ST. TROPEZ?
• Although extremely rare, always seek medical advice if you think you have had an allergic reaction to St. Tropez products. We do recommend that you carry out a patch test at least 24 hours before using St. Tropez products whether at home or in salon. ST.TROPEZ has introduced a Self Tan Sensitive range which is hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested however, we do still recommend a patch test prior to using this product.
CAN ST.TROPEZ BE USED DURING PREGNANCY?
• The Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association (CTPA) confirm that spray tan and self-tanning products are safe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding (lactating mothers may choose to avoid the breast area during the breast feeding stage).
• Although there are no known dangers of using tanning products, they can sometimes cause an allergic reaction, particularly during pregnancy when hormone levels are high and skin becomes more sensitive. As with all treatments ST.TROPEZ recommends that a patch test is undertaken at least 24 hours before a tanning treatment and that this is of paramount importance for pregnant women. For anyone with a pre-existing condition or existing health concern, we do advise our pregnant clients to consult their Drs prior to starting a tanning regime.
• ST.TROPEZ has introduced a Self Tan Sensitive range which is hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested and suitable for pregnant women however, we do still recommend a patch test prior to using this product.
DOES ST. TROPEZ PROTECT ME FROM U.V. EXPOSURE?
• No. There are no sun filters in St. Tropez products so it’s very important that you still use a sun protection product with sufficient levels of SPF when exposing your skin to the sun.
CAN I USE ST.TROPEZ IF I HAVE ECZEMA?
• ST.TROPEZ can be used on skin disorders such as eczema, however we advise a patch test is completed at least 24hrs to the tan being applied to check for skin sensitivity. Apply ST.TROPEZ Tan Enhancing Body Moisturiser to the dry area/s prior to applying the tan to prevent over-development. Avoid applying tan to any aggravated or broken skin.
CAN ST.TROPEZ HELP TO DISGUISE VITILIGO?
• St. Tropez can help to minimise the appearance Vitiligo. We recommend you apply a ST.TROPEZ Self Tan product to the lighter areas with a cotton bud and allow to dry. Leave for at least 8 hours and then wash away the guide colour. If the tan is not dark enough repeat the process. Alternatively St.Tropez Instant Tan can be applied to the area as a temporary cover-up measure.
CAN ST.TROPEZ COVER STRETCH MARKS OR SCARS?
• A tan can help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scars. Apply a St Tropez Self Tan product to the area with a cotton bud. Leave for at least 8 hours and then wash away the guide colour, then apply your all-over tan as normal. If the tan is not dark enough, repeat approximately every 8 hours until satisfied
IS ST.TROPEZ TESTED ON ANIMALS?
• ST.TROPEZ is against animal testing and none of our products have been testing on animals.
IS ST. TROPEZ TOXIC IN ANY WAY?
• None of the active ingredients in St. Tropez have any known toxicity. We use only 100% Natural Tanning Agent, which is Ecocert approved.
IS ST.TROPEZ SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES?
• St.Tropez is safe for all ages and skin types, however we strongly recommend a patch test is carried out at least 24 hours ahead of tanning to check for skin sensitivity, particularly users under 16 years old.
WILL THE SELF TAN DARK RANGE BE TOO DARK FOR MY FAIR SKIN?
• The ST.TROPEZ Self Tan Dark range contains our innovative Melanin Technology™ to ensure your tan tailors to your individual skin tone. The tanning agent (Vegetan Premium) targets more of the brown pigments in the skin for a darker, but more natural tan taking you a few shades darker than the Self Tan range, so even pale skins can benefit without the fear of going too dark.
WILL INSTANT TAN COME OFF IN THE RAIN?
• ST.TROPEZ Instant tans contains RAINMAC™ Technology which combines select ingredients to ensure your tan is water & transfer resistant and gives you 24hr wear. Ideal for one night only.
WILL I TURN ORANGE OR GO TOO DARK?
• ST.TROPEZ is well known for delivering a natural golden glow. This is due to our unique blend of tanning agents and skin conditioning ingredients that work to the individual’s skin tone to deliver a natural finish that will not develop ‘orange’.
WHY DO SELF TANS SMELL?
• The characteristic smell doesn’t come from the product but from the natural chemical reaction on the skin. However St.Tropez has developed Aromaguard™, a revolutionary fragrance technology that effectively banishes the odour associated with self-tanning by up to 70%, with a light, fresh-scented fragrance.